Saturday, October 30, 2010

Don’t work. Avoid telling the truth. Be hated. Love someone

http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/08/life-and-how-to-survive-it.html

This is the NTU convocation address given by a lawyer, Adrian Tan.

An excerpt as follows:
I must say thank you to the faculty and staff of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information for inviting me to give your convocation address. It’s a wonderful honour and a privilege for me to speak here for ten minutes without fear of contradiction, defamation or retaliation. I say this as a Singaporean and more so as a husband.

My wife is a wonderful person and perfect in every way except one. She is the editor of a magazine. She corrects people for a living. She has honed her expert skills over a quarter of a century, mostly by practising at home during conversations between her and me.

On the other hand, I am a litigator. Essentially, I spend my day telling people how wrong they are. I make my living being disagreeable.

Nevertheless, there is perfect harmony in our matrimonial home. That is because when an editor and a litigator have an argument, the one who triumphs is always the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment