Thursday, January 27, 2011

Readings for prospective medics

To those who want to prepare to be doctors, or who simply want to research the profession, I'd like to recommend that you follow the articles in these websites:

1. Singapore medical association (SMA) news: http://www.sma.org.sg/sma_news/newscurrent.html
2. Singapore Medical journal (SMJ): http://smj.sma.org.sg/smjcurrent.html
3. Student British Medical Journal (Student BMJ): http://student.bmj.com/student/student-bmj.html

There is also the health section at your local public library (Call number 616). So far I've only stumbled across the good authors Atul Gawande and Pauline Chen. I am sure there are heaps more.

The last source of readings I'd recommend is the local broadsheet newspaper. Question: what day of the week does The Straits Times publish a health special?

I once read that it's a bonus to love watching the medical shows e.g. House, ER, Grey's anatomy. I have absolutely no idea whether these stuff are helpful. Perhaps you can check them out yourself and post your comments here!

2 comments:

  1. Behind the Stethoscope was recommended to me by I forgot who. It is a rather interesting read.

    Also, I think medical shows can be grossly misleading. Although they probably give you an idea of what surgery might look like, I doubt that doctors really lead such lives as shown in Grey's Anatomy etc. Take those with a pinch of salt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some stories were indeed enjoyable. But not all. I suggest skimming the book for stories that catch your eye ;) Thanks for bringing up that book Vio! I think it's better to search for the books that give you deep insights into the issues of medicine e.g. death, perfection, limits to performance, quantifying performance.

    I just found this book list from The Student Room, a forum for UK medical applicants: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applications_Further_Reading

    This is a pretty cool forum to browse for info of interview questions, information on schools and even to just feel the camaraderie of people anxiously applying for schools at the same time. (link is under the "links" section of this blog)

    ReplyDelete